Case Management System
A Missouri, USA based business & government solutions provider migrated their old technology based application to new technology. They wished to maintain a high quality of their application to enhance its Usability and User Interface. Stellar Tech followed Manual Testing approach to handle the quality related issues of the application. This has maintained a high quality of the application with newly added functionalities and has increased the efficiency and reliability of the application.
Client offers a web-based application of Case Management System to the Prosecutors. The system stores and organizes the record of the person related to the cases. The case record includes details of the person who are witness, defendants, co-defendants and victims. A complete solution to store details right from arrest to sentence.
As the client had moved their old application to new technology, therefore testing every module possessed big challenge. They had an inefficient testing process that lacked the flexibility to test their frequent requirements change during application development. Therefore, client wished to have a more focused testing approach to identify the application issues and rectify them to offer a user-friendly platform to its customers.
Key challenges were:
- Frequent requirement changes result in repetitive testing that requires a testing methodology to maintain the quality of the application
- Traditional testing approach was out of the scope to implement major enhancements in application
- Loads of unused and unrequired code slowed down performance of the application
- Several modules tested on different resolutions consumed a lot of time
- Large database size resulted in ambiguity
- Existing tested methodology did not comply cross browser testing
Stellar Tech implemented Manual Testing approach while focusing on testing the application across major checkpoints like functionality, validation, compatibility, user interface and mobile application. Manual testing solely focuses on delivering a fully-functional robust application. This has helped the client in testing their frequent application changes quickly and easily.
The improved manual testing procedures followed are:
Software Testing Process Lifecycle: Follow a comprehensive Software Testing Process Lifecycle to investigate the application starting from requirement gathering to achieving the expected result.
Testing Methodologies: Execute following types of manual testing of complicated web application to identify potential threats:
- Unit Testing (performed by the development team)
- Smoke Testing
- Module Testing
- Functional Testing
- Integration Testing
- System Testing
- Regression Testing
- UI Testing
- Cross Browser with Compatibility Testing
Functionality Checkpoints: Check the application operational behavior to ensure that the entire functionality meets the specification or development document requirements.
- Execute Link Validations to ensure that all links are working as expected by comparing the actual and expected results. All email ids are checked to be properly hyperlinked.
- Forms validation is executed to ensure that the application follows a standardize format while the user inputs the data.
Validation Checkpoints: A checkpoint to ensure user data is entered in the standardize format to complete the specific function.
- Field verification to check user inputs against the mandatory field.
- Data validation is done against different fields like Email, Numeric, Date, Username, and Password etc.
Compatibility Checkpoints: The compatibility of different elements existed in a web application is tested on different browsers, network environments, hardware and mobile devices.
- Compatibility of HTML version, images, fonts, Java code/Scripts etc. are checked against all web browsers.
- Compatibility of videos, internet speed connection and printer is checked across browsers.
User Interface Checkpoints: This basically checks the interaction of application user interface with the user.
- Various components of user interface included are Field colors, Font size, Buttons, Banner style and size etc.
Mobile Application Checkpoints: Testers ensure that the application runs fluidly across mobile devices to give the best experience to the users. The mobile is checked against several conditions like Interruption, Installation, Network, Performance and Device integration.
- Improved quality of the entire application as per client’s requirements
- Streamlined the entire testing process to easily launch the new features
- Support application on the described resolution
- Quality and Performance improvement by removing unused code
- Cost effective and user friendly application
- Platform: Microsoft ASP.Net
- Server: SQL